Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I read this...

It seems odd to have to say so, but too much religion is a bad thing. We can’t get too much of God, can’t get too much faith and obedience, can’t get too much love and worship. But religion – the well intentioned efforts we make to “get it all together” for God – can very well get in the way of what God is doing for us. The main and central action is everywhere and always what God has done, is doing and will do for us. Jesus is the revelation of that action. Our main and central task is to live in responsive obedience to God’s action revealed in Jesus. Our part in the action is the act of faith.
But more often than not we become impatiently self important along the way and decide to improve matters with our two cents worth. We add on, we supplement, we embellish. But instead of improving on the purity and simplicity of Jesus, we dilute clarity, clutter the simplicity. We become fussily religious, or anxiously religious. We get in the way.

Comments please...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm. Not sure on this one. I think it is true, but I was chatting with Richard on Sunday and he said something that made me really think. He said that questionning and working out our faith is actually a part of us 'growing up' (or put more nicely- maturing in the faith). I have been frustrated for so long now because I question soooo much and quite clearly over-complicate things, but maybe that is where I need to be right now because it is part of my maturing. I don't think it will always be like this, (I hope not - I am fed up of it), but for right now - that is where I am and maybe it is a good thing?!

Becks said...

I think there is a difference in questiong faith, and what i thought Bec was talking about- fussing about church and church politics and all the rules! I totally agree Bec, we put all the non-sense stuff ahead of just gettin on a being with God. I am so guilty of making a mole out of a mountain and losing the plot quite a lot of the time. i think, like you said, we need to remember the simplicity of the message and stop fussing around with the details.

Bec said...

Totally Becky that it is completely it. As it says too much religion is a bad thing but we can't have too much faith etc.
(What I quoted in this blog is actually the introduction to hebrews from the message. I find the introductions to the chapters v interesting to read)